A deputation consisting of
Br. J. Wilson and eight members of 111 visited
Jedburgh l04 on 10th July 1868, when
deputations from several others Lodges in the
province were present. During the evening Br.
Wilson conferred the "M.M.'s" degree on 20
Fellow Crafts of the Jedburgh Lodge.
The celebration of St
Johns Festival is noteworthy for on that
occasion the brethren of both Lodges 424 and 111
joined in procession and dined together
On 2nd August 1870 the
brethren assembled to follow the Mortal remains
of their late Bard Br. Henry Scott Riddell to
his last resting place at Teviothead Cemetery.
That Lonely is lying
amid the deep green wood
By Teviot's wild
No one felt his loss more
keenly than his Brother Masons of 111. He was
elected Bard of the Lodge in December 1863 and
was regularly elected every year until his death
in 1870, but there is no record in the minute
book referring to his initiation. It is unlikely
that he would be elected an office bearer of the
Lodge if he was not a member, so in spite of his
name being omitted from both the minute book and
roll book, we may safely conclude he was a
member and the fact that he held the office of
Bard may be taken as proof of that, the omission
of his name must therefore have been due to an
In November 1882 a
deputation from 111 was present at the
consecration of Selkirk's new Lodge room and at
the laying of the foundation stone at the
Cottage Hospital deputations from as far away as
Largs, Arbroath, Campbeltown, and Irvine being
The Lodge books contain
the record of a Lodge meeting held on 12th April
1872 when the extraordinary number of 14
brethren were raised to the degree of Master
February 1874,a interesting and unusual ceremony
took place in the 111 Lodge room when Br. Robert
Wilson and Francis Dick were installed as RWM's
of St Johns 111 and St Junes 424 respectively.
The first mention of a
Burns Supper appears in the minute of January
1874 and the Lodge recorded its protest against
assertions of infidelity, sedition and
disloyalty made by the present Pope (in 1738
Pope Clement XII forbade all Catholics to become
Freemasons, two years later membership was
punishable by death).
A letter was received from
Grand Lodge on 21st March 1873 stating that the
installation had not been carried out to their
instructions and they could not register the RWM
until he was properly installed.
Consecration on new Lodge Room.
Although no mention of
where the meetings were held, they had
apparently for some time taken place in Mr.
Oliver's warehouse. On the 6th March 1874 Mr.
Oliver intimated that he could not let the
Masons have the use of it after the 1st
It was agreed to offer
£360 for the West U.P. Hall, (Myreslawgreen)
eventually bought for £350, a grand prize draw
was held in order to clear off the debt on the
hall, on 15th October an abstract of Income and
Expenditure drawing was read which showed a
balance of £265-19/7.
The Masonic Hall was
consecrated according to the rules of the Order
by the Substitute Prov Grand Master, Br. Thomson
of Galashiels. 120 brethren formed into a
processional array and after parading the
principal streets of the town returned to the
Lodge and sat down to dinner presided over by
the Substitute PGM. A Grand Ball was held in the
Unfortunately, the U.P.
Hall required extensive alterations and repairs
in order to adapt it to its new use. A debt was
incurred which in the course of years became a
heavy burden on Lodge funds, as well as to a
serious impediment to its usefulness and
prosperity. In 1886 the accounts showed a
deficit of £270, and the members resolved to
make a supreme effort to clear this and place
the finances of the Lodge on a healthy
satisfactory basis. Accordingly they decided to
hold a bazaar as the best means to raise the
The event was held in the
Town Hall for three days, and in the words of
the RWM, "was successful beyond the
expectations of the brethren and equal to those
of the most sanguine". An
abstract of the income and expenditure of the
bazaar was read at a meeting on 7th October
which showed that Lodge funds had benefited by
£400-3/- from the function.
1878 - 1882.
1878 difficulty was experienced in obtaining a
Provincial Grand Master for Roxburgh and
Berwickshire; Kelso gave notice that if a
Provincial Master was not found in the near
future they would attach themselves to the
Concern was expressed
regarding the letting of the hall for weddings
etc., since this was causing annoyance to the
neighbors. "Something ought to be done to lessen
this evil". It was agreed to let the hall on
condition that no alcoholic drink was sold.
Br. Kidd had to go to the
Infirmary with a broken leg but had no money,
and was awarded 5 shillings.
In April 1882 the PGM drew
attention to the irregularity of the working of
the second and third degrees, and the RWM
replied that "it was carried by the majority of
the Lodge." PGM insisted that it be adopted to
take the same form as Provincial Grand Lodge,
and the Senior and Junior Wardens resigned from
their seats on that night in protest.
A letter was received from
Lodge St James BURA 424 requesting the use of
the upper hall as a meeting place, PM Br.
Turnbull replied saying he didn't think it was a
good idea to have two Lodges meeting in the same
A letter was received from
Grand Lodge stating that the three degrees could
not be conferred on a candidate in one night.
It is recorded that
twenty-nine windowpanes were broken in the
lodge, but Police had the names of 10 boys and
it was agreed that the parents would be
approached to pay for the damage.